Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I have a 2012 patriot and we think the fuel filter is

Customer Question

I have a 2012 patriot and we think the fuel filter is clogged. We are wanting to know the location of the filter and how hard are they to change
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: it chugs sometimes and the fuel milage is about 22 on the highway
JA: Are you fixing your Patriot yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes we are fixing ourselves, we got bad gas once and the chugging is better now but it still does it. The only thing we have done to this point is using premium no ethanol gas
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thats it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

these do n ot have serviceable fuel filters like the older vehicles did

they only strainer they have is built into the bottom of the fuel pump in tank

the fuel pump would need to be replaced to change that strainer

if there are no codes set in the computer and you had bad fuel in this tank once the odds are there still is some bad fuel in the tank or debris from the back fuel in the bottom of the tank and the tank needs to be removed and cleaned and then a new fuel pump installed

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will start chugging sometimes, its like there is either air in the line or it is being starved for gas. Kinda like it is running out of gas
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

that is usually bad fuel or something in the fuel tank or the MAF dirty or bad

try cleaning the MAF with spray cleaner and see if its any better if not with NO codes set the bad fuel is what you will have to go after

dont forget to rate us here

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what is the maf