Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Newer battery -- so that's not it. the last couple of days

Customer Question

newer battery -- so that's not it. the last couple of days my jeep has not started on first crank, but the light and radio and everything works. about the 3rd time, it turns over just fine. this morning, same thing -- except once it started and I drove about 5 minutes, the abs and brake light came on, the odometer light started flashing, and the radio goes on/off intermittently. car did not stall out, though
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: brake light and ABS light
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee 85,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: that is the plan. when I get home, I am going to disconnect the negative battery cable and wait a few minutes. some folks say that works. if not, I will check my fuses.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know it ... and I'm not near the vehicle
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not calling ... I've already been scammed $21.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Ok, no worries.. I can still help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

One minute while I gather some information for you

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

All of these components have are the PCM. The PCM controls the starting circuit and it can affect the other components on board the vehicle as well. Sometimes the ABS module, radio or even another module on board the vehicle will short out and affect the PCM which can and will prevent the engine from starting.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

The three most common modules on board the vehicle that could cause this issue are a bad ABS module (the ABS light is on), Body control module and power train control module (which is the PCM).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ugh, starting to sound pricey!
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Let me tell you a secret

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it free? lol
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

There is no extra cost involvded.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What's the secret
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

When the bad module is identified, you can call your local dodge, Jeep dealership and speak with the parts department. Give them your VIN and get the price and part number for the module that has failed. Once you have that part number, stick it into google and you will be able to find one MUCH cheaper on line. You can even find some places that can programmed before shipping it to you so you dont have to pay that cost to have this done. Not only you will save on the part, but you will save about 70 to 100 bucks on the programming. :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cool. Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you very much!

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Thanks and have a great day!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello!

I see you have viewed my last reply but have not responded back. I am just checking in to see if you have any further questions or to see if you still need help with anything? If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help. If I have answered all of your questions, please dont forget to honor the good faith rating system to complete this conversation.

Thank you and have a great day!