Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2002 Jeep commander I put the key in the ignition,

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Jeep commander I put the key in the ignition, all lights come on but it wont turn over(start)
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: The key was replaced about 8-9 months ago due to it being "deprogrammed" Yes I can put the truck in neutral & turn the wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don not work on my vehicle, I haven't tried anything yet other than checking to see if batter cables are connected and tight (they are)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be having it towed to the only Jeep Dealer/service area later today, I would like an idea of what maybe wrong before I go. It seems as if the engine or starter is not getting the information to turn the truck over, the key will remotely lock and unlock the doors and all the lights, heater, radio work when the key is in the ignition. It does not make the familiar "click, click, click" sound you hear when the starter is not working or the battery is dead. in fact it makes no sound at all. Any suggestions on what might be wrong is helpful.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: PS I had the ignition recall done about 8-9 months ago as well.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 month ago.

have you tried to do a key relearn procedure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not know what that is, the key will lock & unlock the doors and turn on accessories.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 month ago.

is your theft light on

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would rather you send me step by step instructions since I am not with my Jeep at this moment.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 month ago.

that i can do give me just a moment

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unsure of what "theft light" is
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 month ago.

1.

Insert ignition key and turn to the “ON” position. Do not attempt to start the engine. Leave

the key in the “ON” position for approximately 11 minutes. The security light will be steady

on or flashing for the 11-minute period. Do not proceed to Step 2 until the security light

turns off or stops flashing.

2.

Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds.

3.

Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes.

4.

5.

Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position as in Step 1 for 11 minutes for a third time.

6.

Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position for 30 seconds for a third time.

7.

Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position for 30 seconds.

8.

Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

9.

Attempt to start the engine.

If the engine starts and runs, the relearn is complete