Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Omg!!!! My husband has gone through 3 brand new batteries

Customer Question

Omg!!!! My husband has gone through 3 brand new batteries and 4 altenators. He is driving me coocoo. I think it is a short or ground wire issue. But my ever so auto mechanic husband never listens to his handy wife. I am not spending $300 on a brand new alternator when it is not the problem. So I want to figure out where the short could be and/or needed ground wire. It will be quite enjoyable to fix the issue with my 4 and 2 year old sons before my husband gets home from work. Lol. Anyway, so the alternator is not charging and batteru
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: So the battery is draining and altenator is not charging. Batteries and altenators are checking out just fine. Battery gets switched with brand new one with each alternator. Love mt husband but get a cute babe! Lol
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2001 jeep grand Cherokee laredo S6
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I already put that in my comments.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: He did new jumper wire. 3 new batteries. 4 alternators. All tested fine. Are u a computer??
JA: No. I'm the Jeep Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: He did new jumper wire. 3 new batteries. 4 alternators. All tested fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Your charging system is controlled by the signal from the PCM (computer) . Are you able to do some testing?