Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Amedee again I have a problem with this jeep. I replaced one

Customeragain I have a problem with this jeep. I replaced one sensor which matched exactly. Than there is another one which the part that goes in to the pipe is matched but the connector is like the other one. it need another sensor but I cant find it. Please help me. the jeep failed inspection with a P0042 code.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Thanks for requesting me! I dont have a listing for this code. Could it be P0420 by chance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you. Again the manual said three sensors and I only saw two one on each pipe from the manafold but only one is the correct one.

I just looked in your history and saw the question were we worked together last time. It was a P0442 which is for the evap system. Is this what you are talking about? Are you trying to get an evap issue? Which sensor are you talking about? Vent valve, purge etc...?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
P0420 sounds

Thank you for that information. Which sensors are you talking about? From what manual? Can you upload a picture? And what exactly is your question. Are you looking for the location of a particular sensor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The sensors I changed were the ones on the the two manafold pipes in the front the one plug fits good the other did not. If you can tell me what parts and part numbers and where they go I will do it. Otherwise I am lost

Sure, but I need to know what components or parts your talking about to provide you with their locations.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You sent me pictures of the O2 sensors and locations. I went under the truck and found these. They are located under the truck 1/3 way back coming down from manafold. The pictures you sent did not show them. It also said the is one down stream by the back I did not see it.

Got it! So you found one or two of them and you need to find the other one or two?

Please send me your VIN so I can get you some more detailed pics.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ahhh ok. That's what I thought. Besides if you can I will need part numbers. The parts stores were confused and gave me one correct one and wrong one.
1J4GW48S94C153212
PLEASE HELP

Sure thing.. one minute..

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh also how do I change a evaporated hose and where does it run.

It looks like your vehicle only has two oxygen sensors. Only california emissions jeeps this year have three oxygen sensors. Here are the part numbers for yours.

Front 56028995AA

Rear 56041848AA

I have attached a pic. It is the drawing on the left.

Keep in mind, the oxygen sensors are not for or related to the evap system. Replacing them will not fix your P0442 code.

Here is a diagram of your evap hoses.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will try. What parts store will have the parts. Thank you

Any of them should be able to get these parts. I would call around first to see if they have them in stock. If not, they should be able to get them the same day or next business day for you.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok well done thank you

Your welcome

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
One last thing. The evap system,is that the whole thing? Do I have to change the whole thing or do I find something

You should not have to replace the entire thing or all of the parts. You just need to locate a leak and be sure that it is working properly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I hope this will be it for this car thanks again. Namastee

Your welcome. Thank you and have a great night!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi again.sorry I am have a problem. The two o2sensors I changed are like within a few inches of each other,on tge underside and they are in the exhaust pipes. . I don't see two more. Are you sure my car is federal and not California.

How many converters do you have?

Can you upload some pictures?

Does it look like the picture on the left or the right of the diagram I sent?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Only one Cat i think. It looked like the right but as I said in the beginning I can't find the other two. One of the two I do have does not match the plug side. I will send pictures when I get home

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Amedeep
I'm sorry I had to wirk this week end I will get that video/pictures to you tomorrow. When you see this you will understand. Thanks

You bet! Your welcome!

Thanks for the heads up!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have 2 videos I think might help

Ok, can you upload them or send me the links?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent them did you get them?

No sir I did not

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't get it to you through e mail. Can I text it to you?

YES, sending over my number now..

Ok, got the videos! Thank you very much!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh wow thank you.

It looks like you have california emissions.

Do you have two more oxygen sensors on top?

Look at the picture I sent you. Look at the diagram on the right. There are a total of 4 oxygen sensors. Two below and two after the converters.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are they 1/2 way down or are they past the converter. Physically I can't see them. Could that truck be a mixture of both types.

NO sir. Not that I am aware of. I think if you lower the truck down and look on top, you will see two more oxygen sensors inside the exhaust system coming right out of the exhaust manifold.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I will see. Either way I will let you know right away. We are not done yet. I will surely add a tip when we are. Have a good eve.

Sounds good! You too!