roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

2003 Jeep Liberty question

Customer Question

2003 Jeep Liberty question
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

What is the question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here's my question...My daughter drives a 2003 Liberty with about 120k on it. The Jeep had been sitting for about a week and (she is just getting her license) and went out to start it but battery was dead. Tried jumping but didn't work so had the battery tested and picked up a new one. While I was installing it, I accidently (briefly) touched the positive and negative with the ratchet (I know, I know...stupid) and got a fire brief spark. I went ahead and hooked up the battery but it's completely dead. No juice at all to the car (light, doors, etc.) so wondering if there is a main fuse that popped?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I meant a brief spark...not a fire!
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.

Expert:  roybelding replied 1 month ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you still need help??

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do. Here's my question...My daughter drives a 2003 Liberty with about 120k on it. The Jeep had been sitting for about a week and (she is just getting her license) and went out to start it but battery was dead. Tried jumping but didn't work so had the battery tested and picked up a new one. While I was installing it, I accidently (briefly) touched the positive and negative with the ratchet (I know, I know...stupid) and got a brief spark. I went ahead and hooked up the battery but it's completely dead. No juice at all to the car (light, doors, etc.) so wondering if there is a main fuse that popped?

ok, I looked on the alldata and do not see a main. if you have a test light or volt meter we can do some checks for voltage. hopefully you only blew fuses and did not damage any modules

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm wondering if there's any sort of fusible link?

lets check for voltage first at the fuse block.

do you have a test light or volt meter??

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a volt meter but admittedly not real experienced with it

ok, start at the battery. black lead on the negative and red lead is the one we will be moving around

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok...any setting that the volt meter need to be on?

see if you have a 20 volt dc setting

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it

what is the battery voltage???

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
12.38

good.

now is the fuse box above the battery??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fuse box is directly in front of the battery. I get the same reading of 12.38 at the spot where the battery cable connects to the fusebox

good, now the fuses. you can probe the top of the fuses to check for power. look for power on both sides. you may have to turn on the key

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I'm not able to get the red probe down into where the fuses are because there's no room (these are some really strange looking square fuses about 3/4 inch square). I am able to get the probe in some spots where there are no fuses and its reading 12.38 in some spots and 6.6 in others

ok, get a flash light and look at the big fuses and check them for broken wires inside. if you cannot see you will have to remove one at a time and the ohm meter part of your volt meter to check the fuses

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok...all of the fuses are ok visually. I checked the voltage of each of the spots where the fuses go and most are ready 12.38 or close to it. However, some are reading almost zero or 0.05. To be clear, the lower number only appears on one side of the some fuse spot...i.e. where each fuse has tow spots, one is reading 12.38 and the other is reading the low number. Out of 21 fuses, this occurs in about 5 or 6 of them.

those fuses are blown and need to be replaced/ replace them with new

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hold on just want to be clear and make sure I did this correctly. What setting should the meter be on for the ohm test. I see 200, 2k, 20k 200k, 2m, 20m

200 was fine

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I just rechecked all of the big ones. they read between 00.6 - 00.8

they are good. if they were bad OL would come up on the ohm meter

what does not work in the car??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing works. No lights or power of any kind. It's as though the battery is disconnected.

I attached a wire diagram for you to view. there are 2 fusible links but they only control the alternator.

I am concerned the bottom of the fuse box may be damages and not passing current to the rest of the truck

Roy