Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

Starts runs as as you giving gas let off gas it dies, starts

Customer Question

starts runs as long as you giving gas let off gas it dies
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: starts fine
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 01 jeep cherokee limited 4.7
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That could be an idle air control problem or just dirt in the air passages in the throttle body.

……..

However,

You will want to do a throttle body cleaning on it to make sure that all of the idle air passages are clear of any carbon build up.

.

You can pick up a can of “throttle body cleaner” just about anywhere auto parts are sold.

.

You can normally follow the directions on the can but I always spray some in the intake while the throttle plate is closed to be sure that it gets into all of the passages. You don’t want to use carb cleaner though, as it’s not safe for the 02 sensors.

..

Also, you want to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the intake air hose is on good and free of any cracks.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

.