Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Car thinks the passenger door is always open on my 2001

Customer Question

car thinks the passenger door is always open on my 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Just started this morning
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 4 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 days ago.

Open the door, there should be a door ajar switch. Try pushing it by hand to get the door ajar light to turn off. The switch itself is the problem if nothing changes. If you can get it to work then the door is not adjusted properly.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 days ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Aloha Dan,
I apologize for the late response. I couldn't find a switch on either the passenger's or driver's door. Another problem started occurring - I was not able to close the car windows, lock the doors or open the back gate. I did some searching online and found that it was a common problem for my vehicle and checked the wires between the passenger door and the vehicle body. I found the thick black wire was broken. I stripped away some of the coating and used a butt splice to get the ends connected again and all the problems went away! Thanks! Keith
Expert:  Dan replied 3 days ago.

Great glad to hear you were able to find and repair the problem. I have seen this problem before as well.