Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified

I have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and hit a deer. The

Customer Question

i have a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee and hit a deer . The enhanced response system cut fuel to the engine ,how do i reset it ?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 8 days ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  Brad replied 8 days ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

There is no enhanced response system on your vehicle disabling the fuel system. What codes are in the modules?

Talk soon,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Good morning Brad , According to the owners manual the 2017 models do , This vehicle has a born on date of 08/25/16 on the paperwork.. Anyhow , i hit a deer last night with this vehicle that i've had for a total of 31 hrs . it was not a hard impact because it did not deploy the airbags , however , the engine shut off and brake pedal stays hard and vehicle would not come out park . had to drag it onto the towtruck from the middle of the road versus drive it to the shoulder . as i said the airbags did not deploy , damage is confined to the right front of the vehicle . I have disconnected both batteries under the passenger side seat in hopes of resetting with no luck .
Expert:  Brad replied 8 days ago.

You do have EARS but it doesn't affect the fuel pump operation:

Enhanced Accident Response Support - The BCM monitors an input from the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and, following an airbag deployment, will immediately disable the power lock output, unlock all doors by activating the power unlock output, then enables the power lock output if the power lock switch input remains inactive for two seconds. The BCM also monitors an input from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to automatically turn ON the interior lighting after an airbag deployment event, 10 seconds after the vehicle speed is zero. The interior lighting remains illuminated until the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position, at which time the interior lighting returns to normal operation and control. These Enhanced Accident Response System (EARS) features are each dependent upon a functional vehicle electrical system following the vehicle impact event.

You will need a scantool to see what codes are setting in the modules in order to know how to repair it.. Post the codes here when you get them..

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
information was not useful . Vehicle was a rental and turned back over to the rental agency . These vehicles should have a manual reset so vehicle can be moved from traffic or the roadway . I was only trying to be helpful to my rental agency and make it easier for the retrieval . No codes were displayed on the vehicle information panel to explain why it would not start .
Expert:  Brad replied 8 days ago.

Information was not useful? You asked how to reset the EARS and there is no reset for it. I didn't build the vehicle, I'm only giving you the information you requested.. If you wanted it repaired you would need to connect a WITech scantool to the vehicle to retrieve the codes so I could tell you what is going on...

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
i didn't mean to make it sound that you were not useful .Chrysler Jeep has an issue that needs to be addressed with this safety feature . There was no reason that this vehicle could not be removed / cleared from the roadway . airbags did not deploy , the inpact was was very mild and i could not see why it would shut down and then lock in park . We literally had to drag it from the road surface to clear it . the manal lock / unlock on the shifter only releases the shifter ,it does not allow the the transmission to go into neutral so it can be rolled from traffic . something bigger happened . the responding officer and the recovery driver were both surprised with this situation with the small amount of damage to the vehicle , the deer even ran away . Something else that you may want to recommend is to not have the vehicle's batteries so minimally covered / shielded from the cabin . in the event of a faulty battery or corroded connections the hazzard separates with a plastic cover and keeps the toxicity in the cabin with occupants . If you have experienced the unpredictability of DC voltage and wiring of unprotected high amperage circuits around combustible material then i dont think i need to explain more of this . I hope the engineers see the point when this is brought to them . Thank You for your help Brad . as i said earlier it was a rental and is no longer my concern . I did log onto the recall website and expressed my concerns and i hope action is taken from the corporate level .
Expert:  Brad replied 8 days ago.

I understand your concern Myron, and the EARS is a new feature that may not be long lived. I'm not sure why the vehicle would not start but I'm glad you have it turned back in and in another vehicle.