Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1989 jeep with a lot of things that we have replaced. story

Customer Question

1989 jeep with a lot of things that we have replaced. long story short the brake lights don't work, unless i turn on the blinkers. if i turn on the left blinker and hit the brake the right brake bulb will light up (because the brake bulb is the blinker also so the left will just be blinking). If i turn on the right blinker and hit the brake the left brake light will work. So what is the problem here cross wire or something?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like a poor ground at or leading to the brake lights.This will cause this fault here with the ground needing repaired or replaced.I would have the brake and turn signal grounds checked for any issues needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. any idea where the grounds should be? Or could it be crossed wires? thanks for the help!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Let me see if I can locate this info.Can you tell me what model Jeep this is and what liter engine is in your model?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1979 cj 7. it has a v8.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,unfortunately since this is a 1979 model my info does not cover wiring diagrams on this model.I can say that usually the ground signals for the lights are near the lights themselves bolted to the body or frame at the rear of the vehicle.If you have any trailer wiring inspect that wiring as well for any corrosion or damage needing repaired but this does sound like a ground fault here needing corrected.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
great thanks! ill check it out and let you know. are they usually black wires?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

In most cases they are usually black in color or white.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so i figured out on this model the ground is the actual brake light housing. when its attached to the body its grounded. so with that being said, i had someone watch today when i turned on the lights and with lights on both filaments are on left brake light and right side only one filament is lit up. hitting the brakes does not change the lights. so what is going on here?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Have you checked to make sure all bulbs are the correct installed bulbs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i just put 2 new bulbs in
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you walk me through the wiring on this vehicle from the brake pedal to the brake lights?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Unfortunately being a 1979 I don't have the full diagrams on this model here.If you would like I can open your question for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like me to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please do that- i have figured out that i need to shake the blinker the right way for the brakes to operate properly- why is that? can you explain what the connection between the brake wiring and the blinker are?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete