Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Replaced ign. switch on 96 grand Cherokee and now it won't

Customer Question

replaced ign. switch on 96 grand Cherokee and now it won't crak over but everything lights up in the on position. Worked before I replaced the switch. Alarm mode???
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: radio gauges accy's
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: the ign switch was broken so I replaced it with a new unit.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Looking at the info on this model here there is no security feature that will keep the engine from cranking over.There is a special procedure on replacing the switch so it is done right.I will post it below so you can make sure it was all installed correctly.If it is installed correctly there is a good chance the new switch is defective and is not sending a crank signal to crank over the engine.If you have a test light or multi meter I can walk you through some testing on this to be sure.If found to be the cause it should be swapped with a new one at no cost to you under parts warranty.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove tilt lever, if equipped, by turning counterclockwise.
3. Remove upper and lower covers screws, then the covers.
4. Remove ignition switch mounting screws, then carefully pull switch away from column. Release two connector locks on the seven-terminal connector, then remove the connector from the switch.
5. Release connector lock on Key-In-Switch and Halo Lamp four terminal connector, then remove connector from ignition switch.
6. Remove key cylinder from the switch as follows:

a. With key inserted and ignition switch in lock position, use small screwdriver to depress key cylinder retaining pin flush with key cylinder surface.
b. Rotate the key cylinder to the Off position, then unseat the key cylinder from ignition switch. Do not remove key cylinder.
c. With key cylinder unseated, about 1/8 inch above ignition switch, rotate key counterclockwise to the lock position and remove the key, then the cylinder.

1. Replace ignition switch, if necessary.
2. Install electrical connectors to switch. Ensure locking tabs are seated properly.

3. Mount ignition switch to the column. Ensure park/lock dowel pin engages with column park/lock slider linkage.
4. Ensure ignition switch is in Lock position and flag is parallel with ignition switch terminals.
5. Apply a dab of grease to flag and pin, then position park/lock link and slider to mid-travel. Position ignition switch against housing face. Ensure pin is inserted into park/lock link contour slot. Torque retaining screws to 17 inch lbs.
6. Install covers to column and torque screws to 17 inch lbs., then the tilt lever.
7. Connect battery ground cable.
8. With key cylinder and ignition in lock position, carefully insert key cylinder into ignition switch, until it bottoms.
9. Insert key and gently pushing on key cylinder, rotate key clockwise to end of travel.
10. Check that proper operations of push to lock, halo lighting, accessory,lock, Off, Run, start, column lock and shift lock are functioning.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
did all that. Put old switch back in even, less broken key part and no crank. I am thinking anti theft because you could just replace the switch and steal the vehicle. Now neither switch will make it crank. Worked before I replaced it. Always the piece you touched.
Expert:  Pete replied 17 days ago.

Does your vehicle have an after market alarm or security system on it at all?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
factory alarm, immobilizing mode triggered, thinks it is being stolen. how do you reset so it will start? tried locking and unlocking numerous times with key still no start. theft function is still activated.
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Does this model have a remote/key fob?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
but it is fixed
Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

Are you saying the fault here is fixed/repaired and working properly now?