Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair
2947720

I have a 1999 jeep wrangler 4.0 with the 32rh transmission!

Customer Question

I have a 1999 jeep wrangler 4.0 with the 32rh transmission ! When I crank it up it stalls on reverse instantly when cold but when warm it won't stall out but is very close to stalling and it does this in drive also ! So far I've changed the tcc solenoid with no change ! It acts as if the converter is locking up in first gear and reverse
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: Yes it's defiantly in the trans or converter
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes ! I've changed filter and tcc solenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Think that's it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating. Thanks.

There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern. It involves a software update for the vehicle’s computer and has to be done by a dealer, I hate to have to say.

.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t848jgciic933d/ENGINE%20IDLE%20UNDERSHOOT.pdf?dl=0

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Did you get that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for ur reply ! But I will say my transmission only has a lock up solenoid that's controlled by the pcm and when the lock up solenoid is disconnected it's supposed to keep the converter from locking up . Well mine locks up regardless if it's hooked up or not
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Right but that factory service bulletin is for PCM calibrations to address the problem that you are having, not a lot to do with what is unplugged or not. They really can't be skipped over and expect good results. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My converter is locking up manually instead of electrically
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

I see, thanks. That would be in the converter clutch valve, part of the valve body. The valve would have to be replaced. Please see attached diagram, thanks