sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

An electrical fire burned the wiring and fuel lines on left

Customer Question

An electrical fire burned the wiring and fuel lines on left side of trans and engine. I'm trying to pull a harness from another to replace the burnt up stuff. Both are '98 XJ 4.0 AW4 4WD. There seems to be one connection behind a metal bracket at the trans/transfer case that I can't get to. Just trying to find out how to get at it.
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: I dont smell gas and I believe the tank is less that 1/4 full.
JA: Are you fixing your XJ yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have every connection loose on the wiring harness except for the one I mentioned. I don't have a lift, so space to work is at a premium.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just hoe to get that last connection undone. After I get what I need, I'm reselling the vehicle for parts.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Depending on exactly what you're seeing you may need to remove the bracket, you may need to be working from underneath or you may need to drop the trans crossmember and the back of the trans for better access.

Can you describe the exact location of the bracket or the exact component connector you're having an issue with, or could you upload a picture showing what you're concerned with?