Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Frustration with erratic starting - sometimes it starts

Customer Question

Frustration with erratic starting - sometimes it starts immediately and other times I try and try and only hear a click in the dash - no engagement of starter. but when it starts it runs very well - until I turn it off.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I have only had it for 10 days and this condition has only been for the last 3 days. the click seems to be in the dash or the ignition switch, not from the starter.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Jeep?
Customer: Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7 hemi
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, the only thing I have tried is cleaning the battery terminals after disconnecting the battery for approx. 10 minutes - which seemed to work until after I turned it of.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of....
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 20 days ago.

sounds like the ignition switch relay is going bad

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
What further steps might be necessary (logical) if I replace the ignition switch relay and the problem continues?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 20 days ago.

if its not the relay then the ignition switch would be the culprit but from what you are describing it sounds like the relay if you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance