kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Girlfriend lost keys so I went to junkyard and got door lock

Customer Question

Girlfriend lost keys so I went to junkyard and got door lock and ignition switch everything comes on put fuel pump and starter what can I do
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: No spare
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2001 jeep grand cherokee
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and that's all I've tryed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

You have to have a new key made and have it programed so the computer will recognize the key again for the anti theft system. Your local lock smith should be able to come out and do this for you. I am sorry but this is the only way to get it to start.

There is a transponder in the top of the key that the bcm has to recognize for the bcxm to tell the pcm it is oik to let the fuel system work as well as the starter system. You can use the key code that will work in the ignition switch as well as the doors, but the transponder will not work in this jeep.