Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Just installed rebuilt motor in 1999 cherokee 4.7

Customer Question

Just installed rebuilt motor in 1999 cherokee 4.7 litre..motor fires right up but only getting 7 volt output on alternator.replaced but same problem seems to be half of qhat it ahould
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 160000 but motor is fresh and its automatic
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Has it been scanned for codes?

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

No codes

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

If the alternator is at 7 volts there has to be codes. Try this: Sometimes you can get the vehicle to display codes for you on the odometer. Get in the vehicle and close all the doors. Without starting the engine, cycle the ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within 5 seconds. Make sure to end in the ON position, and do it quickly within 5 seconds. Where the odometer is should now begin displaying "P-codes" (ie. P0455). Write down all of the codes and post them here... If you did it properly and there are no codes, it will display "DonE" on the odometer...

Even though the check engine light may be off there still may be codes stored...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Let me know if this works for you and we can go from there....

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

We were getting code p1698 which can be from low voltage.did we possibly blpw a fuse or something we just re hooked everything up

Expert:  Robert replied 7 months ago.

Ok. I'm posting a procedure for charging system tests with no DTC's. --->> Click Here to view <<---

When you are checking alternator output, at what point are you checking the output voltage?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert