sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a jeep commander that intermittently makes a grinding

Customer Question

I have a jeep commander that intermittently makes a grinding noise in reverse. It goes away if I go a couple feet and put it in drive and then reverse again or let it sit for an hour. 130K miles.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

You may have a number of things going on but I would first suspect the issue to be in the trans, depending on the actual symptoms. I've seen overrunning clutch issues cause a noise that happens during the shift into reverse. If that's what you're hearing, depending on it's severity, it can most likely be ignored.

Does the noise happen for a second or less only when the shifter is moved into reverse?

Can you describe the noise in detail?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it sounds like a gear making a grinding sound. when it happens if I let the car sit an hour it will usually go into reverse after that. When it happens though in reverse it grinds and then won't move.

Does it seem to come from the front?

Is it full time four wheel drive?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has had a "Service 4wd" message for years, intermittently and not in conjunction with the behavior. The behavior has been on and off for several months. It is a 2006. It seems to get hot and then if it sits it stops happening. It is four wheel drive but not full time. It is automatic not standard transmission. It may be the transmission, but it is so strange that it goes in gear and then other times has an issue. I am hoping it is not the transmission but maybe it is. But it is intermittent and I'm trying to go a few more months since I need to save up money for a repair. Also, I had one shop replace the starter, which obviously wasn't the issue, and another replaced the leaking transmission fluid line and the front differential mount bushing. That seemed to help for a while but here I am again. It is strange that it happens in reverse (thank goodness I suppose) versus in drive. It comes from the front under the shifter.

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What good is the VIN?

That will allow me to check vehicle options.