sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Very intermittent surging/shudder, it has shut down a couple

Customer Question

very intermittent surging/shudder, it has shut down a couple times also quietly with no warning. Sometimes feel sluggish before this happens, tach and speedo go crazy when it occurs. not getting any check engine light, my mechanic cannot duplicate and has found nothing wrong after checking sensers, fuel pump. Runs terrific otherwise.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: as i said there are no lights
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2003 grand cherokee
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no and i just typed my mechanic hasnt been able to duplicate the problem, his diagnostics show nothing. my mechanic is very relaiable and have had work done on all cars for many years.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 21 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If no fault codes are setting then the problem is going to have to be duplicated for testing, which may prove difficult if it's intermittent. You may have a handful of things going on but I suspect the powertrain control module may be going down when this happens, which could be an internal failure in the module itself, a loss of power or ground to it, or a short to power or ground on a couple different circuits.

Does it restart immediately after dying?