Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

It's a dodge dakota 4.7. sounds like a rod bearing. changed

Customer Question

Hello, it's a dodge dakota 4.7. sounds like a rod bearing. changed out all the adjusters, replaced the timing chains and tensioners, and the exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets. Don't know if I can replace the bearings w/o removing the engine. and if it is worth it at all. 213,000 miles, 2001
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: yeah. it's the 4.7
JA: What year is your Dakota?
Customer: 2001 with 213,00 miles
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced all the lash adjusters, timing chains and tensioners, exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it I guess
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is***** will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Anytime we suspect any bottom end bearing issues here at the dealership, I always drain the oil thru a paint strainer to inspect for any metal copper debri. If any is found you will need to pull the engine to tear it down to inspect farther and repair..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Brad. Already changed oil twice.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

Did you see any metal debri in the pan? If you didn't notice then I would just pull the oil pan to have a look.. If it needs rod or main bearings I would not try it with the engine installed but rather pull it out to do it right..

Have a great day,

Brad