Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that some times does not

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that some times does not disengage the torque converter at a stop sign and stall the engine
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Does it ever trigger a transmission trouble code?

Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

Have you checked the fluid level yet? These jeeps are notorious for a torque converter stall when the fluid level is low.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Jared, there's no transmission trouble codes , the trans. fluid is up to full .fluid was changed 50k miles ago with both filters, Don
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The jeep has 130k miles on it tow a travel trailer once a year about 1000k miles. Don
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

When you are checking the transmission fluid the vehicle is idling in neutral right?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The jeep is in neutral and idling and warmed up when I check the transmission oil. This problem with the lockup on the converter has only happened about three times in the last month. Don
Expert:  Jared D replied 8 months ago.

You could have a stuck torque converter clutch solenoid in the valve body. Fixing it would require replacing the torque converter clutch solenoid or valve body.

You might also have a dirty throttle body that is acting like a stuck TCC causing a low idle and stall. When is the last time you had the throttle body cleaned?