Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 engine. For the third time it would not start. The first time the engine sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I had it towed towed to the dealer and they said they replaced a wire and it seemed fine.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with the 5.7 engine. For the third time it would not start. The first time the engine sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. I had it towed towed to the dealer and they said they replaced a wire and it seemed fine. About a month later it did the same thing but started after several tries. I took it to the dealer and the car was starting and they couldn't find the problem. I did some research and thought it was the TIPM. I had the dealer replace it and again I thought it was fixed. Yesterday (one month from the last no start) it would not start again. This time it just cranked and didn't even sound like the engine trying to start. After shutting every thing down the car started and is starting now.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have the dealer work on it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is about it. Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

These can be the most difficult to diagnose, but they can do some testing.

can you hear the starter turn the engine over? or do you just get a click or no sound when turning to start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a no start problem with my 2012 Grand Cherokee 5.7. Three times it wouldn't start. The first time it sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. The dealer said they replaced a wire and it was fine for about 5 weeks. The second time the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. It was starting every time. I did some investigating and I thought it would be the TIPM. The dealer wouldn't replace it so I paid for it myself. Just the other day it wouldn't start again. The engine cranked over very well every time. This time it didn't even sound like it wanted to start. I shut everything off and the car started up. It has started every time since. I have to find a solution, my wife drives it every day with our granchildern in it. The dealer doesn't know what to do since it starts when they have it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Ed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
very strong battery and starter
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.

I strongly suggest locating a repair shop with scope skills. I would suggest having the fuel pump and coils scoped. My first thought is the fuel pump has failed and it has a flat spot on the armature.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Tool Hut,
Thanks for your response. The dealer I have taken my jeep to is the largest in the area. They said they plugged into the car and since it was working just fine when they did this nothing came up on their diagnostic tools.They could not find any problem. Can the fuel pump re set it's self after shutting down the car completely?
Thanks,
Ed