Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner

Jeep grand 99 4.7 motor was just installed all part are new

Customer Question

jeep grand 99 4.7
motor was just installed all part are new the only thing left is to change heater core some one told it might be heater core before the new motor was installed I put some k seal it might be clogging the system
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

Hello, changing a heater core is a real big job on this vehicle are you sure you need to change it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all part cooling are new with the new motor what do you think I shold try
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

well, what is the problem? no heat? or just worrried about a sealer you put in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when I am driving the temp go up passed 210 220 need go up down
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 month ago.

210-215 is a normal operating temp. 220 can happen and is not overheating at that temp, Temp of engine will run around 15 degrees above the thermostat temp. so, a heater core? that is only for heat, Even a blocked core will not cause overheat, it only prevents heat inside the truck. heater core requires rmoving the entire dash and lots of work, Book time is 6 hours. Me? i would hook a couple short hoses to the heater core under the hood and run a garden hose to one hose and flush the core one direction then reverse the direction, If water flows through? it is not blocked, I would not worry about 210-220 range on the temp, That is not running overheat, many vehicles run around 220 and some even as high as 234. overheat is around 265 and up