Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot. While there are a couple of

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Jeep Patriot. While there are a couple of issues with it right now, the only one I don't have an answer to is the following:
There is a strange clicking noise coming from somewhere behind the glove box (under the hood). The reason this is concerning is because it happens when the vehicle isn't running as well as when it is running. It has even clicked 6 times just when I opened the passenger door and the keys weren't in it.
Normally it'll click 5-10 times then stop. It has been doing this for a few months. One mechanic says he looked at it, but he wasn't sure what it was. (He suggested it was a leaf, but the click is too loud and has been going on for too long. If it was a leaf it would have disintegrated by now).
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

This sounds like a possible broken a/c door actuator. It can be narrrowed down by changing a/c modes and turning the a/c on and off while the engine is idling. If you are able to duplicate the sound by changing a/c settings then the most likely cause is a door actuator motor. To find out which one requires you to remove the glove box door and listen for the source of the noise when it is occurring... Once you narrow down to the correct one, replacing it will solve the problem...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,