Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I need to replace the right rear parking brake cable on a 99

Customer Question

I need to replace the right rear parking brake cable on a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. What is the procedure? Please include pictures/diagrams.
I don't see where the cable attaches to the parking brake shoes. There's a metal tube on the backing plate that the brake cable passes through (I think)?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I have attached in pdf file directions for replacing the rear parking brake cable which includes diagrams

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I'm only doing the right rear cable. Can I just remove that one from the equalizer and leave the rest. Do I have to mess around with the front cable (cable from handle). Can I just leave it in place?

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

You do need to release the front cable in order to have enough slack in the equalizer to release the right rear cable. You dont have to release the left rear cable though

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?