Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0 4wd 5spd problem bleeding clutch

Customer Question

1989 Jeep Comanche 4.0 4wd 5spd
problem bleeding clutch after changing everything. Changed clutch, pressure plate
throw out bearing slave, pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder and line master slave
Tried every thing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Here is the bleeding procedure from Alldata. Have you tried this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried this method and had friend pump clutch pedal til there was no bubbles
and still had not enough slave response.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What or how do you recognize this free play in the clutch when pressed to the floor ?
Expert:  Cary York replied 1 month ago.

Sorry. I will have to opt out. Another expert will help you.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. when you push on the clutch does the lever going into the clutch housing move at all? and how much/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Peter, l'm Jerry
To answer your question, there is no visual of a clutch lever because the clutch slave is inside
the bell housing attached to the throwout bearing as one piece. There is a small post the slave
throwout bearing combo is attached to underneath the slave at the back to the transmission or
rear bellhousing wall.
All that is visible on driver side of bellhousing is the input tubing to hookup to clutch master cylinder
and output tubing with bleeder.
Today I tried a mityvac vaccum with reservoir refill and have a problem of looking at bubbles leaking
in from the threads of bleeder nipple. Sealed threads with teflon and it sealed temporarily cause the dot 3
fluid eat up the teflon tape.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bubbles seem to be the problem but I really would like to know how effective this pneumatic vaccum mityvac
is at getting the air out of the system.

can you locate the bleeder on the slave cylinder? that's the cylinder on the clutch fork

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the bleeder is sticking out the driver's side of the bell housing on the end of steel tubing.
The input tubing for connection to master clutch is also there. Both slave cylinder and bearing are
inside the bell housing and not visible.

ok good you can get at the bleeder/ now top up the clutch master and open the bleeder until you see no air bubbles come out then close it have someone press and hold down the cltch pedal while you open the bleeder again then close the bleeder before they release the pedal do this about 3-4 times making sure you keep the master topped up. try that .and if that solves your problem but comes back again then one of those cylinders is either leaking or drawing in air and needs to be replaced. let me know after you bleed the system what happens ok. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Peter those bleeding instructions you gave are the same I started out with on this jeep
and I don't think it gets the air out the system. At times what ever bleeding I use it's like
I get close where I can shift gears with engine running but it's partial with not quite
enough shifting clearance, then it reverts back to being unshiftable

then I suggest you change the clutch master even though it may be new it is drawing air into the system same thing can happen with brake masters they draw air in on the back stroke. have someone hold the clutch pedal down all the way and watch the movement and hold it down and see if that holds pressure or bleeds out.are you loosing any fluid? if air is getting into the system it has only two places to do that either the master or the slave. try my proposal on the phone.

does your slave look like one of these

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The only thing I see happening after pumping and holding the pedal down to the floor and releasing
after opening and closing the bleeder is the drop in the clutch reservoir of dot 3 and intermittent bubbles
in the transparent bleeder line out of the bleeder.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
slave looks like the lower black one not the green one

Ok have you tried to vacuum bleed it ? how much free play on the pedal do you have?