Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.

My Jeep recently died, it will crank and not turn over. It

Customer Question

My Jeep recently died, it will crank and not turn over. It is throwing a P1389 code. I have replaced the ignition coil, and cps, still will not turn over.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: I can turn the wheel, no power steering of course, and the key is little worn, it is a 97. It will crank, but not turnover
JA: What is the model of your '97 Jeep?
Customer: Cherokee Sport
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced ignition coil, and cps. a couple of months ago, all plugs, plug wires, distributor, rotor.and cleaned IACV
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

The code P1389 can set if the Auto shut down relay has failed or one of the fuses to it is blown. Start first with checking the fuses 18 and fuse 20 and fuse 23 all located in the under hood fuse panel. If the fuse check okay make sure you have power to the relay at red wire as well as the red/lite green wire and the dark green/orange at the relay and if so, try swapping the relay out with a know good relay. See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there if need be.