Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

1998 jeep grand Cherokee 5.2. problem started couple of

Customer Question

1998 jeep grand Cherokee 5.2. problem started couple of weeks ago. when you turn the key, cannot hear fuel pump engage and preasure the system. Tank is full. If you let sit in the sun and warm, eventually an hour or so the fuel pump would engage. problem gradually worsened over a couple of days until the fuel pump will not engage at all. Has a new control module and a new key assembly installed since the problem started. swapped around the relays and the fuses made no difference
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Brand new key and switch and the steering wheel will turn
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and just the above.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had a tune up a couple of months a go with new cap, wires, plugs and crank sensor
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David do you have 12vdc at the fuel pump connector?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will check in the morning. Can I leave this ticket open? also any other things to check before I contact you about the 12v

ok and no. checking power there will eliminate alot of everything else

i will keep this open for as long as we need to

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks

yeppers

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
if my volt meter is correct the reading at the connector is 10.6 volts.It appears I have power at the switch. Will it be a bad fuel pump? Thanks

what we need is 12vdc at the connector, we need to find a way to put 12 volts to the fuel pump before we can condemn it.

hows it going?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had some tome this afternoon. put my other voltmeter on the contacts for the fuel pump relay in the box by the battey. Have 12 volts to the relay. Again swapped relays to make sure I did not have a bad relay. My volt meter reads -5.0 volts at the connector to the fuel tank. With the key on. Need to know next step in finding the electrical problem. Thanks

ok. 5.0 volts at the connector aint gonna get it. check the ground wire at the connector. make sure its reading ground. possibility of the ground being bad/loose/corroded

heres a print to make it a little easier