Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I a have a 1984 Jeep J-10 pickup. 360 engine. Sorry it sent

Customer Question

I a have a 1984 Jeep J-10 pickup. 360 engine.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Sorry it sent before I was done. It is a automatic, 130,000 miles I turn the ignition key to start and nothing at all happened acted like I had no starter. I have so far changed the starter solenoid, the ignition coil, Battery is good checked out, month old, had the starter checked out is goo, Replaced the ignition switch, checked the battery cables still nothing, I'm thinking neutral safety switch. No other ideas stuck.
JA: What is the model of your '84 Jeep?
Customer: As I said in the beginning it is a 1984 j-10 pickuo
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you not getting what I'm typing? Are you a robot?
JA: I hope not. I'm an assistant to the Jeep Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Well I was wondering as I tyoe all the things Ihave done before you asked and then suggested what i'm thinking could be wrong and it's like you never saw it/
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Why would I want to minimize you
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just what else should I look for? The computer control module was replaced 2 years ago but not sure if it would be included in the ignition problem. So I turn the key know Have Lights but not even a click or a tick absolute silence. Need to know what to look for.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked for power to the starter motor? Do you have a wiring diagram of the starting circuit? Would you like one?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't want to spend anymore money you got $21.00 plus $5.00 deposit now you want another $26..00
I'm out of work at the moment. That is why I'm trying to fix it in the first place. I by pasted the Starter Solenoid and the Started turns the engine over
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Sounds good. NO problem. Just post your VIN when you can and we can continue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1JTNE25N7ET031063
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Lets check the signal out of the new ignition switch for power with the key in the CRANK position. Have you done this yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I haven't But I will and if that isn't it could there be a neutral safety switch issue?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

YEs, it is possible depending on how it is wired. Check the light blue wire leaving the ignition switch with the key in the CRANK position. This is the wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What am I looking for checking for voltage ?
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Battery voltage

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I also know that I have two wires are coming off the ignition coil and one has a plug on the end of a short wire
but there is no wire coming from the wire harness or anywhere to connect to it. There is some sort of condenser or
attached to the bracket which holds the coil, the top of it looks like a wire use to come out of it but it is broke off so close
you see a few sprigs of copper wire no insulation? Going to check that blue wire now
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

I am not sure I understand your question. Would you be willing to speak on the phone?