Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

I lost all of my coolant in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and now

Customer Question

Hello I lost all of my coolant in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee and now has a rough idle. Misfire on #2. There are no leaks and doesn't look like there is antifreeze in the oil. I here these heads are notorious for cracking. Could it be the head or is there more serious engine problems
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 3 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

It depends on how hot it got and for how long. At this time. a compression test and cylinder leakage test is in order to be able to determine if the problem is valves or rings or leak into the cooling system. If valves are leaking you could have a cracked head. If rings are leaking excessively you could have a damaged piston and or scored cylinder walls if you have air bubbles in the cooling system you may have a blown head gasket or crack in the head or cylinder wall.

If you don't have access to a compression tester and a cylinder leakage tester along with an air compressor to be able to use the cylinder leakage tester then you would have no choice but to pull the cylinder head for inspection...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert