Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

My blinkers work intermittently, when the jeep is off no

Customer Question

my blinkers work intermittently, when the jeep is off no hazards, but when I have the jeep running the hazards work but still no blinkers. all exterior lights work and the fuse is fine.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: safety hazards, and left and right turn signals
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2004 wrangler rubicon
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, replaced all bulbs, checked fuse all connections are tight
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's about it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

you mean the hazard flasher or turn signals ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok when driving, and I go to use the blinkers, at first they would blink intermittely, they would flash a couple of times then get out of sequence and stop all together did not matter what direction I was turning. now they don't work at all. decided to check the hazards they also flashed out of sequence now when the jeep is off the hazards won't work at all, but if I start it they work, but no blinkers at all.

1- check the flasher relay ,i sent you location diagram

2- the multi function switch in the column , also i sent you location for it

one of these 2 is the issue, try replacing the flasher relay first , or try spraying electrical contact cleaner at the connection of the relay

in case it is making poor contact

REMOVAL WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIR-BAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. 1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. 2. Remove the steering column cover from the instrument panel.

Zoom and Print Options

Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install

3. Remove the screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud .
4. Move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position and leave the tilt release lever in the released position.
5. Remove the upper shroud from the steering column.
6. Grasp the combination flasher firmly and pull it toward the dash panel to disengage the flasher terminals.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Zoom and Print Options

Combination Flasher

1. Align the combination flasher terminals with the terminals in the connector on the back of the left multi-function switch housing.
2. Push on the combination flasher until the terminals are fully seated in the left multi-function switch connector.
3. Position the upper shroud onto the steering column .
4. Install and tighten the screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (18 in. lbs.).
5. Move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position and secure it in place by moving the tilt release lever back to the locked position.
6. Reinstall the steering column opening cover.
7. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13801)

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chad did not receive the location diagram

click on the links in blue

i will send them again

tell if you have them now

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks Chad, I will check all this and get back with you

you welcome , ok sounds good

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician