Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

1996 Jeep cherokee xj My headlamp switch only powers my

Customer Question

1996 Jeep cherokee xj My headlamp switch only powers my parking/tail/insturment/ lights before the locking postion on the switch. replaced the switch and the same result. What should I look for next?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description sounds like you're losing power at the dimmer switch. I do recommend using a bulb type test light to verify these circuits at the headlamp switch and the dimmer/multifunction switch.

Check Battery Voltage (B+) at all times at the headlamp switch on the red/white wire this should be constant B+ from fuse 13 in the Power Distribution Center (PDC). With the headlamp switch on verify there is B+ on the tan/black wire. Verify at the dimmer switch there is B+ with the headlamp switch on, on the tan/black wire. At the dimmer switch there should be B+ on the violet/white wire for low beams and the red/orange wire for high.

Let me know there is power through the headlamp switch and the dimmer switch. It's possible there's problems at the bulkhead connector but these are the easiest to verify. When and if you need diagrams and connector views let me know if the vehicle has Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)'s.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have power at the headlight switch and dimmer switch. no DRL's.
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for getting back to me. The links below are for the bulkhead connector, under the dash and where it connects under the hood. In the headlamp circuit diagram attached, the blue rectangle is around the bulkhead connector circuits for the low and high beams. L3 & L4 are the circuit numbers. L3 is for the high beams and L4 is the low.

Headlamp Circuit

C108 Bulkhead Connectors

The violet/white wires are for the low beams and the red/orange for the high. If there is battery voltage at the headlamp bulb connectors it could save a lot of grief trying to verify power at the bulkhead connector. If there is power at the bulb connectors the ground for the headlamps is on the left fender just up from the harness.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

Just following up to see if you found voltage for the headlamps on either side of the bulkhead connector.

Let me know