tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, Mechanic
Experience:  own shop 25yrs
14541291

2005 jeep grand cherokee no power to rear wheels

Customer Question

Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No power to rear wheels front drive shaft works power going to front wheels not even trying to spin rear drive shaft??? Jack truck up spin rear wheels it does spin transfer case front and rear?? Am I looking for something mechanical or electrical?
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

how and when did this problem first begin?

what engine do you have?

is it an automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its a 3.7 nv140 transfer quadra trac1. No idea about when not my vehicle.... driving down road started hearing noises coming from front end... I got it popped front shaft out discovered no power at all going to rear axle. If you grab transfer case when jeep is off spin rear tire it does spin rear drive shaft and front.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Automatic

ok..and if you hold the front drive shaft the rear turns?

does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mechanically seems sound. grab front shaft spin it it does spin rear shaft and vise versa. Start it up only spins front doesn't even try to spin the rear

what if you hold the front wheels..will it sping the rear then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No codes at all hooked up my scanner says no codes stored

The NV140 is a single-speed transfer case and it is used in the Quadra-Trac I Full-Time 4-Wheel Drive System. It provides full-time 4-wheel drive. The transfer case operates with an open center differential dividing engine torque nearly evenly with 48 percent of engine torque to the front axle and 52 percent of engine torque to the rear axle. The Brake Traction Control System, which combines standard ABS and Traction Control, provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction. The Quadra-Trac I system with NV 140 single-speed transfer case provides the following benefits: ^ No shift lever or driver interaction required. ^ Full-time four-wheel drive provides smooth operation and vehicle stability under all conditions because torque is constantly being transferred. ^ Even torque distribution provides traction to maintain forward motion under most conditions. ^ The Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) works in tandem with full-time four-wheel drive. BTCS provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction. ^ Robust design and improved sealing enhance reliability. ^ No maintenance required. OPERATION Full-time 4-wheel drive distributes even torque to all wheels under all conditions. The transfer case center differential evenly divides torque to the front and rear axles, while also allowing the driveshafts to rotate at different speeds to account for front and rear wheels traveling different distances while turning. Given that the drive shafts can rotate at different speeds, the vehicle can remain in full-time 4-wheel drive mode indefinitely, even on dry pavement, without threat of damage to the drivetrain. The vehicle uses Brake Traction Control to modulate the torque from one wheel to another across each axle and the transfer case.

are you sure it isnt working?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nope will not even try??? Shut it off put in neutral spin the rear it spins the front . Spin the front and it spins the rear if im not mistaken this is all wheel drive all the time with a 52/48 split. And all power is suppose to go to rear before the front??

if you are sure this is going on,,i would think the problem is mechanical and the transfer case is bad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am positive I have all four tires off the ground. With engine off you can grab eithier front or rear tires and it spins both shafts soon as you start it all power goes to front without attempting to spin the rear at all

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xap6fhad0z0u6cg/0908-jeep-SASSEMBLY.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

www.dropbox.com/s/xap6fhad0z0u6cg/0908-jeep-SASSEMBLY.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Isn't hooked up in the transfer by a chain? If it is how can it spin the front and not the rear?

it has a differential system..

if it is doing as you say,,it would seem that something is broken in the case

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so is there a way to test these transfer cases cause I have another one sitting in front of me and it does the same thing spin the front it spins the rear and if you spin the rear it spins the front? So by looking there is no difference and there is no electrical hook up to transfer case so how does it get signal to the center differential
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Wont let me look at those links
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just looked at that link. It is connected by a chain and has to spin the rear if it is spinning the front? So again how does that center differential work? Transfer case has no electric connections.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The center differential can spin enough to turn the front but not have enough power under load to spin the rear? Im reaching here cause I have never seen a transfer case lose power to rear axle and continue to spin the front? Unless rear driveshaft was broken which it is not or the rear axle bound up "gears inside differential" which all spin fine. Can the abs/speed sensor be bad causeing it not to read right and not spin the rear and send all power to front? Like I said I have two transfer cases and they both work the same outside the truck. how do I know this other one is going to work when the truck is started? I can't rate you till I know you know more than me.... Can you tell me how that center diff works or am I barking up wrong tree?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have no problem changing transfer case as long as you can assure me that is what is wrong with jeep.

hi,,sorry,i lost internet..

i can not assure you it is for certain the case,,sense it may be working,,the case will switch power from front to rear because of the differencial..

you need to make sure that the case isnt sending power to the rear if the front is held

be sure to paste the link into your main browser

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right now i have my front tires on ramps cause I was thinking I had to take out transfer case but wanted to make sure first put in gear still sends nothing to front but works fine with truck off. Spin front tire rear tire spins spin front tire rear tire spins. Does not send power at all to rear tires once started up.

if that is the case...the transfer case is bad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
K let you know in morning I will change the transfer case and see what happens

ok..

let me know

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.