Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

Constant grinding noise in the passenger tear end. Had the

Customer Question

Constant grinding noise in the passenger tear end. Had the bearings changed on both back wheels, had the seals replaced in the back. Don't know what to do.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: It's been going on for over six months. I was driving up a steep hill yesterday and the grinding sounded like it was on the passenger rear end. Felt like grinding. Not gear slippage but intense grind back there
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2009 grand Cherokee ladero
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I use a mechanic. Like j said bearings and seals
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yeah I read about the pinion gears and potential resetting needed. But I don't know anything G about that or if it even is a factor to consider
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is*****'m a 19 Yr Jeep dealership technician and I will be helping you with your question today...

Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

If you can jack up the rear end and run it up to 20-30mph you should be able to hear the sound.. I would highly suspect it's a ring and pinion bearings issue. If you hear the noise coming from the center chunk then it's time to tear it down and replace the bearings..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more assistance?