Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

Gauges dead, air bag and check engine light on, no bus code.

Customer Question

gauges dead, air bag and check engine light on, no bus code. I read I should start by pulling the instrument cluster and cleaning the two back plugs??
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: the no bus light? when I first crank it the mileage shows up and then it goes to no bus and it is always on
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2001 cherokee sport xj 4wd
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am disabled with multiple sclerosis and I can not afford an expensive repair. I haven't started anything really except reading the forums
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, the power windows quit working, so I bought and installed a new master control switch but it did not fix it so I am wondering where to start troubleshooting it. I have inspected wiring in door and door jamb
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!