Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2005 Liberty, Doing it myself, It is a hot-start issue;

Customer Question

Hi :)
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2005 Liberty
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Doing it myself
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is a hot-start issue; either the engine will not turn-over at all, or turns-over without firing. The 2nd is a rare symptom though.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: Check Engine light is intermittent; I have been under the car and checked that the connector with the starter is in good condition and that the mating halves were dirt-free.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiCustomer my VIN is 1J4GL48K85W595066. thank you. Chris
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and good morning! Thank you for the VIN!

So the big issue is a no crank condition correct? There are a lot of things that an cause a no crank condition. I can go over some of the more common causes. The absolute most common cause of a no crank condition on this engine is the ignition switch actuator shaft. It breaks or comes out of place preventing the engine from cranking over. Now that I think about it, there may be a TSB out related to this condition.

Another cause would be a bad starter motor. Did you say that you have replaced the starter or checked for power down to the starter with the key in the CRANK position? If not, this would be your next step.

Another possible cause would be an issue with the PCM. The Powertrain control module controls/activates the starter relay. So if the PCM is not awake or powered up (or even if ti is bad), it cannot control the PCM so the engine wont crank over (no starter engagement).

Here is how to check/test the starting circuit.

Access the starter relay and make sure that power is coming to the relay on terminal #30 all of the time, and make sure that terminal 86 gets power in the "crank" position. Monitor the Transmission Range Sensor in the scan data, be sure that it shows "park" or "neutral" when attempting to start. Ground pin #38 of the C3 connector at the Powertrain Control Module and see if vehicle cranks over. This test verifies the integrity of the wiring between the starter relay and the PCM.

Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiCustomer thanks for the info but (as per the initial information I provided, this is a hot-start issue only). i.e. the car starts fine first thing in the morning but does not start within a few minutes of being switched off....symptoms are either cranking without firing or no cranking at all. Please advise.Thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information.

Checking the starting circuit will be the same. You will need to do this when the problem acts up (no crank condition).

When it cranks but does not start, check for spark and fuel pressure.

The PCM would be the common factor in both situations. It controls the starter relay and it controls the fuel pump as well as the ASD relay. I suspect this is where we need to go next. Of course you would have to run some checks before replacing the PCM. I am not saying that the PCM is at fault.. again, we would need to check the inputs to the PCM as our next step.

Also, can I get the codes in the computer?

Thank you!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!