Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My Jeep will crank but will not turn over. It is a 2007 5.7

Customer Question

My Jeep will crank but will not turn over. It is a 2007 5.7 liter Hemi with 65,000 miles on it. I have 2 keys from the dealership, one totally quit working yesterday. The other one locks and unlocks the doors and cranks the engine but it will not start. All the dash lights come on, including a little red dot when I turn the key and it cranks but will not turn over.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also with the key that partially works the dash will say programming key.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My Jeep will crank but will not turn over. It is a 2007 5.7 liter Hemi with 65,000 miles on it. I have 2 keys from the dealership, one totally quit working yesterday. The other one locks and unlocks the doors and cranks the engine but it will not start. All the dash lights come on, including alittle red dot when I turn the key and it cranks but will not turn over. The dash says programming key. Please answer
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Have you checked for codes in the computer? Are you looking for possible causes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is it the key Fob? Can it be reset?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I check for codes? It won't start. Alls dashboard lights come on including small red flashing dot
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Based on my experience, if it were a security issue related to the the engine would not crank over.. but your engine is cranking over and not starting.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

If this is caused by a security issue, this would be a faulty key or keys and or a bad wireless control module located on the steering column

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

You can check for codes using the diagnostic connector under the dash even if the engine does not start.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can i Check to see if it is the fob or reset the fob myself
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Sometimes you can reset the modules on board the vehicle by disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and holding them together for about 10 minutes. This will discharge the capacitors inside the module and allow them to unlock "IF" the problem is related to a locked up module.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What diagnostic connector? do I need a code checker to attach to it Like a oBD. Hold the battery cables together touching each other?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

YES, it is called the obd2 connector under the dash on the drivers side. It is a 16 pin connector. YES, after the battery cables are disconnected from the battery, you hold them together for 10 minutes. I would check for codes first in the computer before disconnecting the battery because then you will lose the memory in the modules when you disconnect the battery

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already disconnected the battery Now what? Then it went into programming key but never was able to get it to start
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hold the cables together for about 10 minutes and then re attach them and see if tht does the trick.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you want the 2 metal ends of the cables touching each other?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

YES. as long as they are no longer connected to the battery.. it will be fine

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then just try to start the car like normal?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Thats correct

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

If still no luck after doing that, then I would recommend to check fuel pressure and spark while cranking. Maybe you have a bad fuel pump or a power distribution problem caused by the TIPM under the hood. Also, dont forget to check for codes in the computer.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Did you have any further questions?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I will leave you with a list of possible causes..

Possible Causes

POWERTRAIN FUSES OPEN
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
ASD RELAY
FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN OR SHORTED TO GROUND
(A142) FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
FUEL CONTAMINATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL
PCM
WIRELESS CONTROL MODULE (WCM) CODES PRESENT
INTAKE SYSTEM RESTRICTION
ECT SENSOR
ENGINE CONTROL MODULE
ENGINE DRIVE CHAIN
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
FUEL SUPPLY CONTAMINATION
SUPPLY SIDE FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE
FUEL SYSTEM RESTRICTION
CRACKED OR BROKEN FLEX PLATE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Terrible advice. Battery cables are not long enough to touch. Lost 50.00
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

You can use a jumper wire to connect the wires