Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2007 Jeep Commander, 81,000 miles. Oil light illuminated on

Customer Question

2007 Jeep Commander, 81,000 miles. Oil light illuminated on the dash. Check the oil level it is fine but I did notice it has a gasoline smell, what could be the cause and can it be driven
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. How does the engine run? Does it run good? Does the engine make noise (loud metalic sound when running?) When was the oil changed last?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no issue with the engine that we can tell, no noise
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it isn't due for another oil change for about 1500 miles
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Ok, as long as the engine oil is clean and full, then it sounds like the oil pressure switch is at fault and will need to be replaced. This would be the most common cause. It is possible that the cluster itself or there is a wiring issue causing this light.. but that would be rare. I would suspect an oil pressure switch first as this is very common. YES, it is Ok to drive to a repair shop to get inspected/diagnosed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it is normal to have the gas smell in the oil because not one person in any of the jeep online forums is mention the oil pressure switch as a potential problem
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

No, it is not normal to have fuel in the oil. This comes from the oil not being changed regulalry or a performance issue with the engine. For exmaple, if the engine were misfiring or running rich, then a lot of the extra fuel will go into the crankcase and mix with the oil. That is why asked how the engine ran. If the check engine light is on, I would have it scanned for codes and diagnose/fix any as needed. Even if the check engine light is not on, I would have it scanned for codes as there may be a code stored in the computer that is related to fuel in the oil (anything that can cause it to run rich or a misfire condition.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

I would also get the oil changed as soon as possible.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Here is the test from directly from the Manufacturer for this oil light illuminated.

Start by checking oil pressure. It should be 4 PSI minimum at idle and at 3000 RPM 25-110 PSI. If the pressure is good, disconnect the oil pressure sending unit and check if on the scan tool the pressure voltages goes to 4.7 to 5 volts. With the sensor disconnected, check for 5-12 volts on the Violet/Grey signal wire. If everything checks out ok, replace the sensor.

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!