Robert
Robert, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Certified
49095596

Ture key nothing no click new battery solenod starter nutral

Customer Question

ture key nothing no click new battery solenod starter nutral sw will not turn engine over
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david craig replied 8 months ago.

Hi Im David, do you have lights ?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

ok. when you turn the key to the on(not start), can you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? have someone stick their ear against the fuel door

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
its mechical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in on buzzer on in start nothing

???

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
MECHICAL
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i6 engine carbed

ok, my fault most cars were mfi after 85, sometimes i just have that stuck in my head.

you dont have the year or model of jeep...........

ok i see its an 87

what model jeep?

I rember they went injected in 91 now

ill opt out and let someone more familiar with carbed jeeps jump in... good luck

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1989 jeep wrangler i6 engine carb mechical fuel pump
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Does your Jeep have a starter relay similar to this:

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no starter sol
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
changed sol battery starter neutrol switch
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
gages work with key in on
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

exactly what happens when turning the key? Do you even get a single click?

Can you take a pic of the Starter Solenoid so I can see exactly what you have? If you can post it here, it will help greatly...

Click Here for Document Upload Instructions

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no its like nothing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will get it now pix
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Ok, Sounds good, I'll be here...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sent it to your phone
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

You need to post the pic here, I posted upload instructions above.

If you are not able to get pics uploaded to this site I can offer a premium service for Email Correspondence and you can email it directly to me. I don't have a phone registered with JustAnswer so at this point I have not received the picture yet...

Please accept the premium service offer and then you can email the pic directly to me...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
here it is
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pix enclosed
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks its a mechical fuel pump also carb
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Checked neutral switch to ground good
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

It almost appears that someone has installed a starter solenoid in place of the starter relay. The connector with the extra green wire and connector seems a bit strange. Have you been able to get it to crank by bypassing the starter solenoid??

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Using a jumper starter remote there's nothing Dane as key use
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Check those fusible links that are attached to the starter solenoid. Make sure none of them appear burnt or broken.

Do you have access to a test light or multimeter to run some testing?

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Can you take a few more pics? I need some pics showing the wiring to the starter solenoid where it is coming from and going to. Maybe a couple of pics of the firewall one of each side not as closeup as your pics of the solenoid. I need to see also the starter connections .

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
tested good
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Also on the pics, leave them at the original resolution as taken. it will hep me to zoom in better..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
anything yet
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
will do now
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Still waiting on pics.

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have head lights tail lights with key in on. No reverse lights
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I'm posting a wiring diagram for the engine. Starter circuit is included. Check to be sure everything is hooked up per the diagram. You may find that you may need to replace your starter solenoid and install the starter relay in it's place as shown in the pic I posted above. It appears that the one connector on your starter solenoid that has an extra wire and connector hanging free seems that it is supposed to be connected to the relay that I posted a pic of above. Study the diagram and let me know if it helps or confuses you more. Also I need to know if you have a test light to run some tests with..

Here is the diagram

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have all type of testers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is 89 and 87 wring the same
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Yes, 89 should be the same as 87, what year is yours, above it says 87 further down it says 89...??

OK, at the back of the ignition switch should be a green wire. Check this wire for power while holding the switch in the crank position.

Post back the results...

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
rained very hard here today will be working on it when it stops
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good, I'll be here when you're ready to continue..

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi found out wring is for 1989 jeep but its an 87 found out by wriing control model wiring where is the micro ecu located in my jeep
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

If you're referring to the Ignition Module, It should be mounted on left fender below master cylinder. Keep in mind that it could be mounted elsewhere. Usually these had the Ford DuraSpark Ignition.

So just look for the box that looks similar to this:

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hi ? what wire go to solenoid post color wire second what goes to this connection in my hand as pixed
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
seems like like something missing a relay or something
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is there something missing on connection
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Yes, remember above I was asking you if you had a relay as shown in my pic? It appears that someone has installed a Ford Style starter solenoid in place of the starter relay that I posted a pic of. Notice the connector in your hand and the connections on the relay in my pic. These match up to each other.

At this time, I recommend to purchase a starter relay as shown in my pic and hook it up in place of that ford style solenoid. Let me know the results...

Here is my pic and your pic highlighting the match from the connector by your hand to the connections on the relay...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In your pix it shows a starter sol also mines not on starter it's just a battery cable from Ford sol on fire wall seems there a wire missing on that connect I showed it's the starter sol middle wire has nothing on it shown in my powered it go
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Your pix shows battery 2 wires off pos side one to relay one to sol my starter not has battery post on it
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Can you take a pic of the actual starter and it's wire connections, This will help me to determine how it should be wired up and may help me to help you get this thing to crank...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Maybe this will be easier,

Does your starter look more like This?

or Like This?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

I'm posting your pic marked up with some recommended tests and question. Please post back the results along with the starter style or pic and we can go from there....

Click Here to view

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hank you will check it now
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Starter is second one listed just a battery cable no power to connection no voltage on sol was pixed
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

You stated: "no power to connection no voltage on sol was pixed"

I'm having a hard time deciphering your responses. Are you stating that there is no power at that wire on the 3 way connector? Also what was the result on testing that single black/white wire connected to the right side of the solenoid. Using an ohm meter with the black lead connected to ground and the red lead to the disconnected terminal what is the ohm's reading that you are getting?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no power on wire
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In a test black wire to neutral switch 0000 beep on meter yes
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

If you are getting no power on the wire at the 3 way connector, either that wire is open between the connector and the ignition switch or the ignition switch has failed and need to be replaced since you stated you replaced the neutral safety switch.

Try something, get yourself a jumper wire and bypass the neutral safety switch and then check for power at that terminal again... post back the results.

On that black wire with the beep, make sure to leave this wire DISCONNECTED for now. Do not hook this wire anywhere...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Key in on start no power to test light
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Black tan wire on a test ooo
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Thank you...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Have you ran that bypass test on the Neutral Safety Switch? I'm curious to see if there is a problem there or if it is possible that the ignition switch is faulty..

Run the bypass test and also check for power coming from the ignition switch in the "Start" Position...

Post back the results.

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
hows hat done not sure
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
switch has three wire termal
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Here is a pic of the Neutral Safety Switch connector. Get a jumper and connect cavity 2 to a good ground then test for output at that terminal on the 3 way connector at your solenoid.

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Post back the results. Also Check all fuses, it shows the ignition switch output as a "fused" output. Just check ALL fuses to be sure none are blown or missing..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is it located what's it called on box
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I've been doing a bit of research and have a bit of conflicting info.. Disregard the above test. Let's try something different. Hook everything back up with the exception of the "3 way connector". With everything hooked up, get yourself a jumper wire and apply 12 volts to the LEFT Solenoid terminal where you left the 3 way connector disconnected. Let me know if the engine cranks over on this test...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi took new starter in to be tested it was bad they order me one in tomorrow also I found that the sol is not internal ground there's a pin on bottom that has to have a ground for the sol to energize here is pix but don't know what wire would go there
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Blk and tan wire don't know where 2pix tested 4pixgrounded sol works don't have a wire for it pix3 relays is one for starter
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

You stated: " also I found that the sol is not internal ground there's a pin on bottom that has to have a ground for the sol to energize here is pix but don't know what wire would go there"

For now, get yourself a jumper wire and hook it to that post and then run it over to the battery Negative(-) post. Make sure to mount the solenoid or keep that clamp attached and securely hooked to batt neg also..

After you get your starter reinstalled. Let me know the results of the above testing procedures...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

You stated: "Blk and tan wire don't know where 2pix tested 4pixgrounded sol works don't have a wire for it pix3 relays is one for starter"

What are you asking on this?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sol has external ground there's a black and tan wire that I don't know were it go's also what are these relays sol has a post on bottom of it if you ground it it activates
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

That black/Tan wire may be the correct wire for that ground post on the solenoid. Check that black/tan wire for continuity to ground with the beep function of your meter. If it is a good ground. hook it to that post. Make sure to mount the relay to a good grounding point also to ground the case properly.

As for the relays, I couldn't tell you what they are for, Jeeps of this era had many differences even between units of the same year. If you can tell what the wiring to these relays hooks to it will definitely help to find out. You can also jump the cavities from 30 to 87 on the relay connectors and see what turns on when you bypass the relays in this way..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>>

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-Robertr/?r=SprinterRob&bt=0 <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
A lot of help a 10 meaning very good thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hello, Has a rating "pop up" came up on this page to rate my service? Let me know if you are unable to rate due to web site problems...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Haven't seen one
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

You stated: "A lot of help a 10 meaning very good thanks"

Would that be considered a "5 Star" Rating??

Thank you,

Robert