sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Jeep wrangerler auto transmission will not come out of drive

Customer Question

jeep wrangerler auto transmission will not come out of drive and will not start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: that is all fine no fused blown
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2008 Wrangler
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes Im thinking its a linkage problem but not sure
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: just that it says that it is in drive and will not try to turn over all other electricals are working fine
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that the transmission is in drive and the shifter now moves freely with no resistance. I so then you do have a linkage problem.

I saw quite a few of these with the shift cable popped off either at the transmission or shifter end. The cable slides over a ball stud and can work loose. What you'll need to do is slide underneath after setting the emergency brake and/or chocking the wheels and see if the shift cable is still attached at the trans. If not then simply slide it back on the stud.

If it's intact there then you'll need to disassemble the center console and check the cable there. You should find it's off at one end or the other.