Greg, Technician
Experience:  maintain jeep wrangler's for a off road rental company,

My 2007 wrangle 2 door died while camping. It has died

Customer Question

My 2007 wrangle 2 door died while camping. It has died before but had never gone completely dead (won't start but still has enough juice to run the fuel meter and such). The alarm immediately started to go off once I put the jumpers on. I assumed once I put the key in to start it, the alarm would shut off but it didn't. I needed to leave so I cut the cord leading to the speaker so I can drive down the highway without being pulled over. But I still can here the clicking inside the car. My key doesn't have any buttons so I'm very confused on what to do. Also I am able to use it and all its just making that clicking sound (like a turn signal) whenever I open the door or the car is on.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi Maxwell.

Sound to me you have an aftermarket alarm system fitted .as a OEM system would not work this way .

How long have you owned this car .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
About 1 year, as far as I know the alarm hasn't been tampered with. I installed an amp and some speakers and a deck. And also installed a new battery
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Okay good .

Can you start the car and check the battery voltage at the battery with a volt meter you should have around 14 volts .

Seen a simula issue where the alternator was charging just at 12,5 volts and when the A/C was switched on would make relays switch off and on . you may have a alternator issue .

Please check and let me know .

Also please try another known good battery a bad battery with a short will also cause this issue .

Please get back to me after trying these two ideas ,

Battery bad or a bad charging alternator .

If the check engine light is ON when driving then please check for malfunction codes .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The battery is at about 14-15, also when I changed the battery I got a top of the line battery... I forget what's it called but the guy at a parts store said it was the best for reliability when mudding. The check engine light and gauge lights are both off
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Okay good thank ypou .

Check for a parasitic drain in the system . may have a circuit which is affecting the ECM system .

Check your new amp and speaker system this maybe your issue .draining the battery and putting too much load on the circuit .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just unplugged the amp and all of the speakers and its continuing to have the same problem, I don't know how to check for the first part...
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Okay good .

You will need a 12volt automotive test light .like the pic attached or make your own with a car 12 volt light bulb .

Disconnect the batter negative cable and attach the test light in between .

With the key out all doors closed the test light should be off or a very dull light.

If the light is very bright then you have a drain in the system .now you need to remove one by one the fuses

remove one check the test light, still on replace go to the next fuse .

When the light goes out then you have found the circuit that is draining the system .

Check which number the fuse is and then check which circuit is draining the battery from your owner manual .

Start with the fuse box behind the glove box first.

Do this then please get back to me .

Rgds Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

The attachment of the test light .