Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Commander '06 4.7L 4x2 P0958 I have this codes and need

Customer Question

Commander '06 4.7L 4x2 P0958
I have this codes and need troubleshooting info
Thanks
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Below is the diagnostic procedure for this code here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3npd22zueblf8eg/d-08-25.gif?dl=0

Theory of Operation
The AutoStick Switch is located in the Shift Lever Assembly (SLA). The gear requested by the AutoStick selection is then sent over the AutoStick Up/Down sense circuit to the PCM to engage the requested gear. Normal AutoStick voltages are: Down = 0.71 to 1.11 volts, Up = 2.02 to 2.41 volts.
- When Monitored:
Ignition on and engine running and after 0.5 seconds.
- Set Condition:
When the monitored AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit voltage rises above 4.75 volts.

Possible Causes
(T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN
(K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
(T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
(T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
SHIFT LEVER ASSEMBLY
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

Always perform the 45RFE/545RFE Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting Procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK IF THE DTC IS CURRENT
Start the engine in park. With the scan tool, read the AutoStick voltage.
Does the scan tool AutoStick voltage read above 4.75 volts?
Yes >>Go To 2
No >>Go To 7

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aw0tj6kjxm9yo53/di-08-25.gif?dl=0

2. CHECK THE (T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A OPEN
Turn the ignition off to the lock position.
Disconnect the PCM C3 harness connector and connect Miller tool #8815.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Disconnect the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit between the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector and the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
Yes >>Go To 3
No >>Repair the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit for an open. Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykzqicpos0scwcs/dia-08-25.gif?dl=0

3. CHECK THE (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
Disconnect the PCM C2 harness connector and connect Miller tool #8815.
Measure the resistance of the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit between the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector and the appropriate terminal of Miller tool #8815.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?
Yes >>Go To 4
No >>Repair the (K900) Sensor Ground circuit for an open. Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test

https://www.dropbox.com/s/exbytylzxues5fh/diag-08-25.gif?dl=0

4. CHECK THE (T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
Ignition on, engine not running. Measure the voltage of the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit.
Is the voltage above 0.5 volts?
Yes >>Repair the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit for a short to voltage.
Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test
No >>Go To 5

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8zfzopveewwokpa/diagn-08-25.gif?dl=0

5. CHECK THE (T5) AUTOSTICK UP/DOWN SENSE CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT TO ANOTHER CIRCUIT
Measure the resistance between the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit and all other circuits in the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector.
Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms between the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit and any other circuit(s) in the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector.
Yes >>Repair the (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit for a short to another circuit(s).
No >>Go To 6

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bssh807e08eg0h/diagno-08-25.gif?dl=0

6. CHECK THE AUTOSTICK SWITCH
Reconnect the PCM C2 and C3 harness connectors.
Connect a jumper wire between (T5) AutoStick Up/Down Sense circuit and (K900) Sensor Ground circuit in the Shift Lever Assembly harness connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, read the AutoStick voltage.
Did the scan tool AutoStick voltage drop below 0.5 volts?
Yes >>Replace the Shift Lever Assembly. Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test
No >>Using the schematics as a guide, check the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems are found, replace the PCM. With the scan tool, perform QUICK LEARN. Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test

7. CHECK THE AUTOSTICK VOLTAGE WHILE SHIFTING
Start the engine in park.
With the brakes firmly applied, shift into AutoStick.
With the scan tool, monitor the AutoStick voltage while shifting both low and high.
Did the scan tool AutoStick voltage rise above 4.75 volts at any given time?
No >>Go To 8

8. INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS
The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.
Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors specific to this circuit.
Wiggle the wiring and connectors while checking for any possible open or shorted circuits.
Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Technical Service Bulletins that may apply.
Were there any problems found?
Yes >>Repair as necessary. Perform 45RFE/545RFE TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST - VER 1. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > 45RFE/545RFE Transmission Verification Test
No >>Test Complete.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete