Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

1999jeepgrandcherokee directions to replace crankshaft

Customer Question

1999jeepgrandcherokee directions to replace crankshaft position sensor
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I dont show a 4.9 liter engine in this model here but do show a 4.7 and assume this is the engine you have.If it is not let me know.Below is the procedure on how to replace the crank sensor on the 4.7 liter engine in this model here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m798h3mmm9c1tv0/c-08-23.gif?dl=0

The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is bolted to the side of the engine cylinder block above the starter motor. It is positioned into a machined hole at the side of the engine block.
1. Remove starter motor. (if you need info on this let me know as well)
2. Disconnect CKP electrical connector at sensor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v9r7vhcjwfcqp5y/cr-08-23.gif?dl=0

3. Remove CKP mounting bolt.
4. Carefully pry sensor from cylinder block in a rocking action with two small screwdrivers.
5. Remove sensor from vehicle.
6. Check condition of sensor O-ring.

INSTALLATION
1. Clean out machined hole in engine block.
2. Apply a small amount of engine oil to sensor O-ring.
3. Install sensor into engine block with a slight rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to O-ring may result.

CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to cylinder block. If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.

4. Install mounting bolt and tighten to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
5. Connect electrical connector to sensor,
6. Install starter motor.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete