Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Jeep wrangler starts and runs great but then dies out after

Customer Question

Jeep wrangler starts and runs great but then dies out after driving for 20 minutes.... when I try to restart the engine cranks but wont start. If I let it sit for 30-50 minutes it will start right up and run great.1994 Jeep Wrangler 4.0, automatic,***** 119000 miles.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** is a common symptom of a failing fuel pump. Next time it doesn't start check to see if it runs on starting fluid if so you know problem is fuel related and I'd just replace pump. This would cost around $300 at a shop, here are instructions to do it yourself. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does not run on starter fluid... I tried that.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

This would mean no spark then which would most likely be caused by coil or crankshaft position sensor. Check to see if check engine light comes on for bulb check when turning key to on position, if not then problem is ASD relay or PCM. If good then Check for B+ to coil positive when cranking. If OK, check the negative side of the coil for toggle to ground. Connect a test light between coil negative and B+. The test light should flash when cranking. If the test light is pulsing, replace the ignition coil.Let me know if you have questions, thanks.