sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I dropped the driveline on my jeep Cherokee on the freeway

Customer Question

I dropped the driveline on my jeep Cherokee on the freeway and had to drive it off the road with the front wheel drive only. Now that I have the new drive line on it will not disengage out of***** How do I dis engage?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You could have a linkage issue but if it feels as if the lever is going into two wheel drive that probably isn't a concern.

The issue could be tire circumference. If there is a circumference difference between any of the tires due to mismatched sizes, brands, one or more tires not being replaced together, underinflation, or the spare being in place can all cause enough circumference difference to not allow it to come out of four wheel drive easily. Getting it only a loose surface or getting all four wheels off the ground with the transmission in gear will allow it to come out if this is the case.

The problem may also be due to internal failure in the transfer case. If it was driven without a rear driveshaft and enough fluid was lost that would have contributed to internal damage.