Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2002 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 and it makes a noise

Customer Question

i have a 2002 grand cherokee laredo 4.0 and it makes a noise when i put on the gas going up a hill
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,

Can you describe the noise?
Also, is the check engine light on or does the engine run rough?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the check engine light does not come on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it sounds like grinding noise
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok

Since you can't seem to describe the noise, let me suggest the following.

The most common noises that I usually hear under acceleration would be an exhaust leak or a belt noise.

If the belts are loose you might hear a loud squealing type of sound, especially when you go up a hill and put a lot of pressure on the engine.

The exhaust would usually either rumble or rattle depending on the problem. Lots of times the substrate in the catalytic converter will break up and cause either a rattling type of sound or more of a whooshing sound when you get on the gas to make it up the hill. This doesn't always cause the check engine light to come on and if it's just louder then usual it may have a leak that opens up when the engine is under load.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

A grinding noise could indicate a loose or broken engine or transmission mount. This would allow the engine and transmission to shift and possibly touch the frame. If this is the case it can make a grinding sort of sound. I would have the mounts checked as well. Usually its a bad transmission mount that allows this to happen.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is in the driveline noise
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Please read my second reply as I was mid answer when you sent your second reply to my first question.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well it dont do it all the time
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is not in the engine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
where is the transmission mount
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

It is at the back section of the tail shaft on the transmission. A large rubber block bolted to the transmission and the cross member under the truck.

As for the engine mounts, we are talking about the engine being able to shift is all. Not the engine itself making any noise, internally, just that it could shift and allow some vibration or grinding type of sounds if it's moving.