George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

Coolant bottom drivers side looks like its coming from

Customer Question

coolant bottom drivers side looks like its coming from timing cover
JA: How many miles are on the car? When was your last oil change?
Customer: 140000 3wks ago on oil change
JA: What year is your Jeep?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes new radiator,new water pump,new thermo, upper lower rad hoses and new heater hoses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.

Hello I will help,

Model and engine size please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3.7 jeep liberty

Thank you,

The water pump is right there and has a weep hole on its bottom.

Is the coolant coming from there? I see you put a new one on but new does not mean good.

Thermostat is also at the bottom can you post a picture of the leak?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i will have to jack up vehicle and climb under it looks like it is coming out from behind the crankshaft balancer

I doubt that is where it is coming from unless something wore a hole in the cover into the water passages. Look for the highest point the coolant is coming from. If you have to wash it down and dry it then run it for a short time to get it to leak. That will give you a better idea.

Or you can get a cooling system pressure tester and put pressure on the system so you can see the leak.

Let me know what you find

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i did that yesterday and its is coming out right by the bottom bolts of the timing cover side closet to oil filter

Click here for diagram

You say it is coming out the bolts?

Was the cover off?

What number of the bolts do you see the coolant leaking from?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
their is a tray right under the oil filter then the bolt right behind the balancer leaks onto tray then onto floor

OK, Has the cover been off or is just dripping off that bolt?

Is it running down from above and dripping off the bolt?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no havent taken cover off yet yes it looks to be running down and dripping off bolt

Then it is not leaking from the cover seam it is running down and you think it might be from behind the balancer. Can you get a picture posted so I can take a look. It sounds like it is coming down from above so you need to dry it and pressureize the system til it just leaks and is not dripping so we can see where the leak starts.

Let me see

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
heres a pic
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its this bolt
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
looks like bolt 7 and 9

That looks like you have a green trail going up high. Why was the water pump replaced? Leaking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no was making bearing noise

Ok, you need to get up to the top of the trail and see where it is coming from.

Was the coolant replaced with something other than HOAT type? Mopar part number is(###) ###-####B

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ya flushed out all the hoat and went with the green

Not a great idea but .....

So I guess you need to get it leaking so you can see the wet. Other than the green trail I am not seeing any wet. I don't think it is leaking out the cover but running down from the hose fittings or the pump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
which hoses are u thinking and would the pump leak to the back where do u see the green trail at

I think it is coming down from where the arm on the pump bolts on the cover. Dry it then pressurize it. Maybe I am wrong but that is the sure way to find it. There is only oil behind the balancer.

There is the upper rad hose and the passage to the WP above where you see the trail along with the arm on the WP. Coolant flows downhill not sideways

The balancer is running clockwise, if you had a leak from the pump and it ran down on the hub it would be flung on the bolt. Dry it off pump up the pressure and see where the wet spot is without running the engine. Pumps are available at the chain autopart stores in the loan a tool program if you don't have one.