Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8. I would like to

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8. I would like to replace the factory 20" wheels with 18" diameter wheels that are either an inch wider with the same offset OR 18" that are the same width but offsets 1/2 - 1 inch outward.With those criteria in mind, what overall wheel dimensions do I need to be looking for and what are the largest tires I can put on these 18" wheels without rubbing? I would like to put BFG KO2s on the new wheels.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

what overall wheel dimensions do I need to be looking for I am not quite sure what your asking for. You already mentioned the offset, width and diameter you want. Your current tire is a 265- 50- 20 on a 8 inch wide wheel.

Your diameter is 30.44 inch,

Without a lift you are only going to be able to increase the tire radius by one inch.

My opinion would be the 255-70-18 or 275-65-18 KO tire

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Basically I want to move from my 20" x 8" wheels to an 18" wheel that will allow the wheel and tire to stick out about 1/2" - 1" further than the factory 20" x 8" wheel does. However, I don't know how to figure out how wider wheels with different offsets will work?I will go find some wheels I like, and list them with their dimensions and maybe you can tell me if they will fit my Jeep and the specs of the largest tire that will fit without rubbing.I have the quadralift system so the vehicle is capable of a 10" lift when in off road mode but actually lowers for Aerodynamics when running at highway speed, so that will need to be considered when picking a tire size.I'll post again shortly with some wheel dimensions that I'd like for you to check for proper fit.Thanks for your help!

I will need you to measure your stock wheel for me to see what the replacement wheel is going to do (set in or out). You have to lay something flat on the back side of the wheel touching only the surface where the wheel weights clip on. Then measure the distance to the surface that contacts your hub. I can not tell you which wheel will work without a comparison to the original ones of which there are no specs published.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I found the offset here - Specifications:
Product ID: ALY9138U80
Product: Wheel/Rim
Material: Aluminum
Style: 5 Y-Spoke
Finish: Polished
Size: 20x8
Lugs: 5
Bolt Pattern: 5 Inch
Offset: 56.4mm
Option Code: WSC
Indents: 1VH41TRMAD
OE Part Number: 1VH41AAAAD, 1VH41AAAACDoes that give you the info you need?

I prefer an actual measurement to catch the backspacing and offset measurement at the same time like this link.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good deal..I won't be able to take the measurement until I get off this the meantime, with the offset and dimensions I found online; Would these theoretically fit and stick out 1/2 - 1" on my Jeep - and if so what's the largest tire (BFG KO2) I can fit without rubbing?18x9 Dropstars 645B Satin Black w/ Milled Accents- It looks like they come in several different offsets so I'm not sure which would accomplish what I'm looking for..I ultimately want the wheel and tire to stick out further than the factory wheel but not past the wheel well trim.

You mentioned it has a adjustable lift. Are you ever going to drive it with the suspension at stock height with the new tires? If not then I need to know the clearance from your current tire when turned full left and right from the fender and bumper in the front at the height you plan to leave it at?

If your current offset is 56.4 mm on an 8 inch rim. If you used the exact same offset on 9 inch wheel the tire would stick out 1/2 inch more but also 1/2 inch in. To make it stick out a full 1 inch you would need to decrease your offset by 12.7 mm.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Honestly some of these questions and measurements should be answered/done by an expert, which is why I came to the site to ask and was hoping a Certified Jeep mechanic would have access to the vehicles and required information to be able to answer the question. At this point I am thinking that it is going to be best for me to take it to someone who is either familiar with the stock Quadra lift system that adjusts the suspension height with factory set conditions, whether in Off Road I, Off Road II, Normal or Aero. These are all factory settings and components so I assumed it would be an easier question for a Jeep mechanic. I am going to go ahead and request a refund unless you have access to the vehicle so that appropriate measurements can be taken by you and not mis-measured by myself, causing a major problem down the road.Thank you for your timely communication, even if we can't get the question answered here.

Sending in your refund request now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time..I apologize for my lack of needed information.