Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

95 ZJ wont start. my wife drove it to school and as she was

Customer Question

95 ZJ wont start. my wife drove it to school and as she was pulling in to the parking spot, it died, she went to class and after class it wouldn't start, just crank. I went to check it out checked fuel pressure and there was none so I thought it was the fuel pump. towed it home changed it as well as the fuel filter and still no start. checked relayes and fuses and all were fine swaped relays and still no start. read up on how to jump the relay and the fuel pump comes on. still no start. read up on the ECU issues on my jeep and remembered I had this same problem about 9 years ago, went to a pickapart and got another ECU and put it in and still no start. iv also try the key in the passage door thinking its a security thing, but to luck. havnt changed any thing else. is there a chance that the pickapart ecu is bad too and I still need one or is it the crank position sensor? or even something I havnt thought of?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: wont start at all
JA: What is the model of your '95 Jeep?
Customer: grand Cherokee v8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: welfare doesn't pay for repairs so yea I'm hoping to
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: iv I think iv put everything down I done
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1V4GZ78Y5SC560826
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! So there is still no fuel pressure while cranking? Does it have spark while cranking?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no fuel but I can jump the relay and hear the pump run and get pressure in the fuel rail. I havnt check spark I cant seam to find my spark tester
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

You can use a screw driver to check for spark..

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my batterys almost dead and ill have to wait tell my wife comes home to recaharge it
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Ok

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
sorry been alittle busy with a fire that's is pretty close, idid check for spark but I didn't see any.
Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Ok, if there is no spark, then we need to check the ignition system. Check the ASD relay and circuit, check for power at the ignition coil and check to ensure that the check engine light comes on with the key on for a bulb check. This will ensure that the computer is "awake". Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 7 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I got a new ignition coil and do not have a check engine light even when i cycle the key. Still no spark or fuel. I did order a new computer last week should be here tomarrow
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh and sorry for the long wait i just dont have a whole lot of time on my hands
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello! Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Replaced all 3 20 amp fuses in the fuse box under the hood still no start
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Did you check for power at the ignition coil while cranking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im getting 0.23 volts to the coil but may be more when the batter charger charges the battery
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for that information. Was this checked when cranking the engine over? What color wire did you check for power while cranking?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didnt try it while cranking just a volt meter with key on
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Ok, thats what needs to be done because the ASD relay will not power up the coil until it cranks over

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just tryed it. Got about 65-79 volts. With the battery mostly charged its at .49 volts
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
With just key on
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

You only have a 12 volt battery. So it should only be approximately 12 volts at the coil while cranking.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
60-.70
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Ok, this is a problem. The computer is not activating the ASD relay when cranking. This could be a faulty computer, faulty ASD relay, faulty input to the computer or a wiring issue to or from the ASD relay.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im still not getting a check engine light
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

Right, that is because the computer is not awake. All powers and grounds need to be checked and verified going into the computer with the key on. This includes all powers from all fuses, fusible links and even the ignition switch and all grounds (battery, engine and frame grounds). If all checks out good, the computer is bad and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.

We can speak on the phone and it will be easier for us to cover all of the details.