sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do I fix incorrect gear 4, gear 1, and gear 3 ratios [or

Customer Question

How do I fix incorrect gear 4, gear 1, and gear 3 ratios [or Gear Ratio Errors in 1st, 3rd & 4th] 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 2WD, 4.7 L , 45RFE Transmission 192,832 miles. Thus far, I have been reducing ODB II diagnostic codes to pare it down to the codes for the above; P0731, P0733, and P0734.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am thinking I must have burned bands which are not allowing it to properly shift gears. I have first, second and when in Drive on startup I start in first, shift to second and depending on acceleration, it will "slip out" at 2,000 to 3,500 rpms
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have issues with reverse.I don't have issues with fluid (Castrol ATF +4) is clean.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have no leaks anywhere, including the front hoses to the radiator cooler lines to the tranny.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If the trans is slipping it could cause these codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is not slipping. It is strong and solid in rpms when driving in first and second. Just willl not stay in Drive. Originally OD was an issue, would not go into OD.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We can talk on phone later.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Is this the original torque converter and transmission for the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Data: in Second at 3250, the speed is constant at 45 MPH. Yes, this is the original when I purchased the vehicle for my son years ago when he was in high school, he has graduated from college and been working for at least two years since.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I recognize you are an ASE Certified Technician, but have you done many transmissions?
I am an Electrical Engineer, but my father was a master mechanic, so I grew up working on engines. Additionally, I spent 6+ years working at EG&G automotive research in San antonio, TX (a testing laboratory for Engines, Transmissions, and Cars. I built a metrology lab for the Technicians for highly accurate data collection on wear and tear. So yes once you have it diagnosed with a solution, I will be happy to discuss tha solution over the phone.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I am a master tech and have worked for a trans rebuild shop. I am not going to help with this any farther I am going to opt out and another expert will help you shortly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Initial codes were P0715, P07312,P1732, P1734, P1787. Current codes are P0731, 733 & 734 after Solenoid Pack, Input & Output Speed Sensors, Pressure Sensor, Cooler Filter, & Bottom Pan Filter were replaced.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Prior to Solenoid Pack I also had a P1781 code
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the trans is going into neutral or slipping at the 2-3 shift point. P0733 is a gear ratio error in third gear, P0734 for fourth gear. If you're feeling it slip or freewheel at a shift point you either have clutch or geartrain damage. Clutch failure would often happen gradually but on the RFE trans clutch failure often happens in seconds.

Did the fluid smell burnt at any point?
Was there clutch debris on top the valve body?