Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

A local mechanic just changed the transmission valve body

Customer Question

a local mechanic just changed the transmission valve body due to 2008 grand Cherokee going into limp mode. Looks like that is fixed but now the transmission make a hard shift when slowing down at 10 MPH when it down shifts from 2nd to 1st gear. any ideas on what is causing this. Mechanic said it needs to be broken in and just drive it
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Did he use a new or used valve body?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They used a new part from jeep
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can this new part be defective
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Usually a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st is due to the torque converter clutch coming out of lockup late.

This may be due to incorrect fluid level, torque converter clutch solenoid fault, faulty torque converter, or faulty valve body.

Because this was not present before valve body replacement, I suspect that either the new valve body is defective, incorrect installation, or the fluid level is incorrect.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They did look for fault codes one day last week and said the car did not have any codes stored.
Would any of they above mentioned issues create a code
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a break in period for the new valve body
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Only the torque converter clutch solenoid would set a fault code.

No, there is no break in period for the valve body. It either works correctly when installed or doesnt.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Need more time
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

no problem